Conditions on the Carriage Trail as of April 17th are still pretty wet in spots. Good for frogs — but for bikes, not so much. Good news though, is that it looks to me like the work VYCC did last year in the wet areas is really helping to drain the trail faster.
68 Work days from the end of April to the end of October
840 Number of volunteers in the park in 2014
Thank you very much to everyone who has helped in the park.
Projects Completed in 2014:
• Widened pedestrian bridges with Rutland Rotary South
• Rerouted Annex
• Trillium rerouted
• Santa’s Little Helper Mud holes repaired
• Lower Giorgetti by old softball field improved RHS XC team
• Two kiosks for Carriage Trail
• Repaired fabric showing on Underdog powerline
• Installed 7 French Drains on Birches near Voldemort
• First Turn on Exit Strategy had more dirt added to it
• Small reroute on PA4J/Lonely Rock has a less abrupt turn now
• VYCC 3 weeks on Carriage Trail
• VYCC 3 weeks in the fall on Carriage Trail and in the park for a total of 6 weeks
• Ribbon cutting for Carriage Trail
• Repaired powerline on Strong Angel
• Repaired powerline on Jersey Turnpike
• French Drain installed at base of powerline on Jersey Turnpike near Arthur’s Chair
• French Drain installed on Lonely Rock
Future Projects for 2015 and beyond:
• Sore Elbow Segment 2
• Sore Elbow Segment 3
• Furlough needs TLC to prevent water running straight down it
• Shimmer needs TLC on corner to prevent trail erosion
• ‘S’ turn on PA4J near Stegosaurus needs some TLC
• Ramp VYCC started to build off PA4J to enter Strong Angel from West side needs attention
• Reroute for Santa’s near the Droopy Muffin intersection
• Boardwalk at main entrance needs to be leveled
A suggestion was made to widen the boardwalk
A suggestion of taking part of the white pine down that hangs over the boardwalk that the pileated woodpecker is working over
• Broken Handlebar Extension-anyone will to step up and help with this trail?
• Trail by Carving Bench to prevent people from walking over gardens
• Front entrance-smooth upper tier out so can be mowed
• Fabric on Overlook near the top of Root Ride
We are hoping you can attend the Pine Hill Partnership annual meeting on Monday, March 30th at 6pm at the Godnick Ctr. We will have some great food (both vegetarian, non-vegetarian and dessert), a short business meeting along with a short slide show.
We will have a short slide show to show our accomplishments for 2014 and plans for 2015. If you are unsure of your membership dues please contact Shelley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 775 4867 before 8pm for your current dues status.
Please RSVP to Shelley by Wednesday, March 25th if you can attend.
These trails are now open as of May 20th. Please ride them gently as the trail tread is tender.
Exit Strategy, Lichen Rock, steep hill on Droopy leading towards Dewey Wood Rd are closed still closed as of May 10th. These trails received some TLC on our community work day and we hope to open these in another week or so.
PLEASE DO NOT RIDE THESE CLOSED TRAILS at this time.
We are all patiently waiting for the Carriage Trail to dry out. Please stay off the Carriage Trail with your mountain bike. VYCC did a lot of drainage work last year but trail still could be soft in April and May. Please be respectful of our trail that was many years in the making.
The Carriage Trail came into concept in 2007. It took us 6 years to get approval from all the landowners.
Thanks to a VTrans Grant we were able to have VYCC come in 2013 to make the Carriage Trail sustainable. VYCC returned on the same grant in 2014 and put more drainage in areas that we had problems with in the spring.
We are extremely hopeful that spring of 2015 the trail will dry out quicker so we can play on it quicker.
A huge thank you to the private and public landowners for allowing us to ‘officially’ open this trail.